Ansteorran Archery Awards and Honors
This page last updated Sunday, 16-Sep-2012 07:47:44 PDT
for an up-to-date linsting of who has what awards look in the
Order of Precedence.
The Royal Huntsman of Ansteorra
The current Royal Archery Champion is known as the Royal Huntsman of Ansteorra.
Each reign a new champion is chosen by archers tournament. Traditionally, the
tournament is facilitated by the Kingdom Archery Marshal with the help of the
outgoing Royal Huntsman.
King's Archer of Ansteorra
The first archery award in Ansteorra was the King's Archer. This award is given
to those who have striven to further their skill in combat and target archery, who
are involved in the arts and basic heraldry, display courtly graces and manners,
and chivalrous conduct on and off the field.
This is a non-armigerous award given at the discretion of the crown.
Like the Sable Falcon, The Queens Rapier, and The Golden Bridle though
they carry no title and little precedence.
The insignia of the King's Archer is a braid of green and black silken cords,
hung from a brass ring.
Award of the Sable Talons of Ansteorra
- Establishment of the Award
- There shall exist in Ansteorra an award which the Crown shall give unto such persons
who have striven greatly to further their skill level and capabilities in any recognized
marshallate activity, who have positively influenced the skills and capabilities of others
in these fields, and who lead by example when on and off the field of endeavor. .
- This Award shall be known as the Award of the Sable Talons of Ansteorra, and
shall hereinafter be referred to as the Award.
- Holders of the Award shall be entitled to be styled and announced in procession as,
"Holder of the Sable Talons for X", where ‘X’ is the marshallate field or fields for
which they received the Award. The Award may be given to an individual more than once,
but only once for a particular marshallate field.
- Arms and Precedence
- The Award shall carry an Award of Arms. The Awards of the Sable Crane of Ansteorra and the
Sable Thistle of Ansteorra are held to be equal and shall be considered as one group.
Holders of the Award shall take precedence after Holders of the King’s Gauntlet and the
Queen’s Glove of Ansteorra, but before the Companions of the various baronial orders.
- If the Award is given to a person who is already higher in precedence than stated
above, then his/her precedence shall remain unchanged.
- If the Award is given to a person who does not hold an award of equal or higher
precedence, then his/her precedence shall date from his/her acceptance of the Award.
- Bestowal of the Award
- The selection of a holder of the Award shall be announced
publicly by the Crown or its representative in open court.
- Holders of the Award
- The number of holders of the Award shall not be limited.
- Holders of the Award shall retain their award despite any change in residence.
- The badge of the Award shall be: "(Fieldless) An eagle's leg erased à la quise sable."
- Holders of the Award shall be entitled to wear the insignia as a medallion,
pin, or pendant from a neck adornment.
- Supercedence and Inclusion of Award of the Optio of Legio Ansteorrae
- This award supercedes and replaces the previously closed
"Award of the Optio of Legio Ansteorrae" (hereinafter referred to as "Optio")
created by edict of Quintus Aurelius Dracontius and Sibri de Aldebourne in XXXIX (2004).
- All holders of the Optio prior to its closing are accounted as holders of this
Award with precedence and entries in the roll of precedence dating to the awarding
of their Optio.
- Creation and Revisions
- Created by Ulsted the Unsteady II and Cateau d'Ardennes II in XXXIX (2005).
The Order of Arc d'Or of Ansteorra
On January 19, 2002 Their Royal Majesties Aaron and Britta MacGregor did create a
Grant Level Order to recognize the Archers of Ansteorra. This order was known as the
Order of the Arcus Majoris of Ansteorra. The name and badge of the order were never
properly registered with the heralds and on March 18, AS 39 (AD 2005) at Gulf War 14
a full reciprocity treaty was signed with the Kingdom of Trimaris and the order was renamed
to the Order of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra.
- Establishment of the Award
Constitution of the Order
- There shall exist in Ansteorra an order unto which the Crown shall select
persons who have distinguished themselves by their excellence with the bow
and/or crossbow, by their service to those who pursue excellence in archery, in
the making of archery equipment, by their exemplary conduct, and who have
shown a consistent respect for the laws and customs of Ansteorra. This order
shall be known as the Order of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra, and shall
hereinafter be referred to as the Order.
This Order shall be known as the Order of the Arcus Majoris of Ansteorra, and
shall hereinafter be referred to as the ‘Order’
- Companions of the Order shall be entitled to place after their names the letters
CAOA to designate their membership in the Order, and shall be styled and
announced in procession as "Companion of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra."
- Arms and Precedence
- The Order shall carry with it, at the pleasure of the Crown, a Grant of Rank.
Companions of the Order shall take precedence after all nobility and peerage,
but before simple Grants of Rank. The precedence of the Order shall be
combined with that of the Orders of the Star of Merit, the Iris of Merit, the White
Scarf, and the Centurions of the Sable Star.
- If the Order is given to a person who is already equal or higher in precedence than that
stated above, then his/her precedence shall remain unchanged.
- If the Order is given to a person who does not hold equal or higher precedence,
then his/her precedence shall date from his/her elevation to the Order.
- Investiture of the Order
- The selection of a member of the Order shall be publicly proclaimed by the
Crown in open court.
- Persons being selected must be present to receive the Order.
- Membership in the Order
- The number of members in the Order shall not be limited.
- Companions of the Order shall retain their membership in the Order despite
any later changes in residence.
- The Crown may consult with the Order concerning the qualifications and
suitability of a candidate. Recognition and elevation remains the sole right of
- Principals of the Order
- The King and Queen of Ansteorra shall be the Principals of the Order.
- Principals of the Order shall share all rights, privileges, and
responsibilities of membership in the Order.
- Insignia of the Order
- The badge of the Order shall be, "Or, on a fess, between two mullets of five
greater and five lesser points sable, a bow fesswise Or." (pending registration by the
College of Arms)
- Companions of the Order shall be entitled to wear a white archer's armguard
charged with a black ten-pointed star inside the left or right forearm.
- Creation and Revisions
- Created by Aaron McGregor and Britta McGregor January XXXVI (2002).
- Revised and renamed in conjunction with the Treaty of the Arc d'Or by
Ulsted the Unsteady II and Cateau d'Ardennes II March XXXIX (2005).
One of the first Arcus Majoris scrolls presented.
Treaty of the Arc d'Or
We, the kingdoms signatory to this treaty, desire to offer deserved and due
recognition to those in Our respective kingdoms who have demonstrated exceptional
expertise in the arts of archery and who have, through service to the archery
community, advanced those arts and promoted them; and
We desire to promote the archery arts within Our separate realms, and to other
realms, by this recognition of exemplar individuals; and
We desire to establish in, between, and throughout Our realms a singular order to
accomplish this recognition, such that all who hold membership in this order will
be recognized equally for their skills and service to the archery arts among and
within all kingdoms signatory to this treaty; and
We desire to register this order name and similar badges for each kingdom signatory
to this treaty with the College of Arms.
Article the First
We do each therefore establish, create, and recognize within Our separate realms,
according to Our kingdom law and the Laws of Arms, the Order of the Arc d'Or.
Further, We each declare that a member of this order inducted in any other kingdom
signatory to this treaty shall be welcomed in all of Our realms and accorded the
rights and precedence granted to Our own kingdom's members of this order.
We do not, save only by the terms of other treaties in force if any are applicable,
grant to any other kingdom the right to confer membership in this order upon one of
Our populace without prior consultation with Us or Our successor Kings and Queens.
Article the Second
We do each grant to each and every other kingdom signatory to this treaty permission
to conflict with our respective name and badge registrations for this
Order of the Arc d'Or for purposes of each kingdom's registration of the order with
the College of Arms. We do each recognize that such permission granted cannot be
revoked once registrations are completed. This treaty text shall be included with
each registration of name or badge to the College of Arms and shall constitute
documentation of such permission to conflict as the College may require.
Article the Third
We each mutually recognize that the name of this order registered to each signatory
kingdom will add the kingdom name to the end of the phrase: "Order of the Arc d'Or
Article the Fourth
We each mutually recognize that the badge registration by each signatory kingdom for
this order will include the charge of "a bow Or" as either a primary charge or as
an overall charge, all other badge components to be determined by each signatory
kingdom. We each further mutually declare that members of this order are at any
time entitled to wear either the badge of this order of the kingdom in which they
were made members or the badge of the order of the kingdom in which they currently
Article the Fifth
We do each direct and charge, through enactment of this treaty, Our respective
Colleges of Heralds to speedily register the order name and badge for Our respective
kingdoms with the College of Arms.
Article the Sixth
We, the kingdoms signatory to this treaty, do further declare Our intent to
encourage other realms in the pursuit of the archery arts and to welcome such
kingdoms who pursue these ideals to join this treaty as they may desire.
By Our Hands, duly witnessed by Our Principal Heralds, do We enact these articles
and make their terms binding as law in Our respective kingdoms in accordance with
the procedures and laws of Our kingdoms.
|King of Trimaris||King of Ansteorra|
|Queen of Trimaris||Queen of Ansteorra|
|Duly Witnessed:||Duly Witnessed:|
|Triskele Principal Herald|| ||Star Principal Herald|
|Executed March 18, AS 39 (AD 2005)|
Wondering what Archery awards other kingdoms have? Click [HERE].
This page maintained by Marshallate Vscribe.
Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed.